Walkie Talkies come in two main designs; the wired mounted walkie talkie and the regular wireless walkie talkie. Think about those walkie talkies you see in police or military vehicles or at out-stations, especially among coastal guards, on boats, ships and vessels, as well as weather outposts and other stations, then you’ll have an idea of what the Midland MicroMobile Two-Way Radio looks like.
In 2015, Midland bagan experimenting on MicroMobile Two-Way radios, beginning with the MXT100 in 2015.
With the success recorded on that first release several other models were introduced subsequently, including the MXT275, which saw an improvement in wattage, range and other user-friendly features.
But when compared to other similar products on the market, just how great is this walkie talkie?
Are you shopping for a two-way radio you can mount on your dashboard or somewhere in your outpost? Did you just come across the Midland MXT275 MicroMobile walkie talkie but you’re not sure if it is the right radio for you?
Well, you’ve come to the right place. This comprehensive post is a detailed review of the Midland MicroMobile 15W radio, and it is sure to help you make an informed decision to buy or not to buy.
This multi-channel GMRS radio comes fully powered by as much as 15 watts. It is a mountable radio with a handheld control microphone with buttons and a LED display to monitor your activities.
This two-way radio is packed with so much mileage, offering a city-wide coverage for communication in whatever situation you find yourself. In fact, this product is at the top of the list when it comes to range.
So, if you’re big on road trips and adventures, you’d need something like this in your vehicle. Remember, a walkie talkie will help you connect with friends, loved ones and emergency services where your mobile phone will fail you.
The most important thing to note is that this radio has to be mounted because it is not portable enough to be carried everywhere in your hands. If this is not what you want, you should consider other products.
The radio comes fully equipped and is easily mounted, while the Integrated Control Microphone is plugged in via a cord. It is through this mic that the radio is controlled easily.
You don’t have to worry about buying extra gear as the package includes the mount, a magnetically-mounted antenna that is easily detachable, a microphone holder, adapters and other accessories that the radio requires to work effectively.
And if you lack sufficient space on your dashboard, you can simply attach the radio to the roof, under your dashboard or simply stash it away somewhere in the vehicle.
The control buttons on the microphone make it all-encompassing.
There are a whole lot of features that make this radio a quite popular brand among walkie talkie enthusiasts.
Specifications of Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
- Radio and detachable control microphone connected via a cord
- 15 GMRS channels with high and low power variations
- 8 GMRS Repeater Channels
- 142 Privacy Codes for secure conversations
- Includes USB output that can charge mobile devices
- 12-volt accessory plug can connect temporarily or permanently to a vehicle
- Flip-frame detachable mount allows radio to slide out when necessary
- Weighs 2.75 pounds
- Uses 6 AAA batteries
- Has a dimension of 9.72 x 9.61 x 2.83 inches.
- 15-Watt output power
At What Frequencies Midland MicroMobile Two-Way Radio Works?
The Midland MXT275 MicroMobile walkie talkie uses the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) Frequency. This would require a license from the FCC, especially for people who want to enjoy the maximum capacity at 15 watts of output.
But, it is important to note that the radio can connect and communicate with Midland FRS and GMRS radios as well as some other radios out there.
In terms of band, the radio operates on the UHF frequency band, which means you can use it for both indoor and outdoor purposes.
Range of Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
The Range of the Midland MicroMobile radio is 50 miles within the best circumstances. While this will reduce in bad terrains, weather or in the midst of severe obstacles, it is a considerably great mileage and can be used over long distances.
So, if you’re in a neighborhood with lots of buildings in your way, range can be reduced to about 10 miles, or anywhere between 10 and 50 miles.
How long Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio’s Battery Survives?
This radio uses 6 replaceable AAA batteries which can keep you going for as long as 18 hours. So, you need to be sure you’ve got replacements if you’re not using a vehicle power source.
Accessories that come with Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
- 12-Volt Accessory Plug: If you’re going to be mounting your Midland MicroMobile radio in your vehicle, the product comes with a 12-vote plug that can be plugged into your accessory port, in the form of a car charger. This connection powers up your radio. If you’re savvier with electronics, you can hardwire the plug and establish a permanent connection.
- Detachable Flip-Frame Mount: This mount ensures you can install your radio on your dashboard or under it, on your car roof or on the wall of outpost. The unique thing about this accessory is that while it can be permanently installed, it allows the radio to be flipped in and out whenever necessary. This means you can move your radio whenever you deem necessary without actually taking off the mount.
- External Magnetic Antenna: Antennas are generally signal boosters or receptors. The detachable antenna is an added advantage to enhance the signal of the radio as well as ensure audio clarity. It may also be a boost for range and can help make communication more effective.
- Microphone Holder: Apart from the mount which aids radio installation, there is also a holder for the microphone. No one expects the mic to simply be all over the place when you drive. The holder is often attached to the dashboard area just above the AC vents and beside the radio, while the microphone is easily attached to it.
Important Features of Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
1. NOAA Weather Scan and Alert
One key feature for outdoor walkie talkie use is weather alert and the ability to search for weather updates and information. With the Midland MicroMobile, you have access to 10 weather channels which you can scan through.
The radio then automatically locks onto the channel with the strongest signals.
With this connection, you’re sure to be alerted of severe weather conditions. This includes sounding an alarm to tell you when there is a risk of dangerous weather approaching your area.
2. 142 CTCSS/DCS Codes
The Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System and Digital Coded System are privacy codes that help to secure communication over walkie talkie channels.
This product has 142 of such codes and is able to block out conversations from users on the same channels which can otherwise disrupt or interrupt your own communication.
3. GMRS Radio
One thing to note about GMRS signals is that they travel really far. These radios come with incredible range and are often used by law enforcement and other agencies that require very long, stable communication. Usually, you’ll require a license from the FCC to use the radio due to its possibilities.
4. Car-Power Adapter
This is not just an efficient feature for ease and convenience, but is also a cost-saving measure as well. When connected to your car power source, you don’t have to worry about the batteries dying out or letting go of a few dollars to get replacements.
5. Convenient Design
The compact nature of the Midland MicroMobile Two-Way Radio makes it very convenient for use. The control buttons available on the microphone means you can implement settings without consulting the radio.
You can only imagine how bulky and burdensome it will be if you have to pick up the radio every time. And if you have troubles setting it up the first time, you can always consult the user manual included in the box.
6. 15-Watt Output
The wattage of a two-way radio often determines its range. This should explain why this product can cover as much as 50 miles in range.
What is the Best Usage of Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio?
This product has to be stationed somewhere because it cannot be carried by hand everywhere. Therefore, this walkie talkie is best suited for people who are always on the road as it can be mounted in the vehicle.
It is also suitable for outposts and boats. What’s more, the 50-mile range makes it a great choice for long-distance communication, so it can be used by law enforcement or rescue operatives.
It will be a waste of mileage to use this in neighborhoods or at home. It’ll work within buildings and warehouses, but you may just be underusing it. if we’re to recommend, this is most suited for vehicles.
9 Reasons to Buy Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
- Incredible coverage up to 50 miles means you can reach out to radios several miles apart.
- Weather Alert and Scan features means you’ll always be one step ahead of unexpected unpleasant weather.
- Compatible with all other Midland FRS and GMRS radios
- Convenient accessories like the power plug and the USB output for charging your devices enhance its value for money.
- It is easy to use and requires no technical expertise to set up.
- Superior sound quality over 15 channels and 8 repeater channels.
- Quite sturdy and will take some heat without damage.
- Great for off-road adventure.
- Quite affordable.
2 Reasons Not to Buy Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
- This radio is designed to be mounted. If you want something you can hold in your hands or strap to your body, you should consider a regular hand-held radio.
- Obstruction can limit range by up to 80%. This can be a problem if you act on the assumption that you’ve still got 50 miles.
Our Rating of Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS Two-Way Radio
|Ease of Use
- 2-WAY RADIO: The Full 15-Watt MicroMobile is a two-way radio device that operates on GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) frequencies. 15 Hi Power Channels GMRS Channels: 1-7 & 15-22 provide increased range communication over a long range. Its channel scan allows you to search for active channels in the area. The MicroMobile is for camping, hunting, outdoors. Its compact size, easy-to-use interface make it great for communicating on the go. Speaker Mic Jack - Split Tone Capable
- GMRS: The GMRS channels used by the 15-Watt MicroMobile walkie-talkie are licensed by the FCC for personal and business use. These channels have a range of up to several miles, depending on terrain, weather conditions, and obstacles in the way. While a 50-mile range may be possible under ideal conditions, it's important to consider terrain and other factors that can affect the range of the radio in use. For best communication, it's best to test the range of your radio where you plan to use it.
- PRIVACY CODES: The 142 CTCSS/DCS privacy codes of the MicroMobile walkie talkie allow you to select a specific code to use with a particular channel, which helps to prevent unwanted transmissions from being heard on the same channel. This provides a level of privacy and security for your communications, especially in crowded areas where multiple radios may be in use. Use silent operation to turn off all tone
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT: NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 10 available weather (WX) band channels and locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather in your area. NOAA Weather Radio will also be used to broadcast AMBER alerts for missing children.
- MIDLAND MICROMOBILE: Take your radio range to the next level with the most powerful GMRS two-way radios on the market. These compact radios bring reliable and versatile communication to overlanders, off-roaders, farmers, RV’ers, and others. The MicroMobile is compatible with all Midland FRS and GMRS walkie-talkies. Whether on a hunting trip, exploring outdoors, or working on a farm, the MicroMobile can help you stay connected with your team or family, even when you're far from civilization.
Midland is a leading brand in the Walkie talkie industry, and it proves itself once again with this MicroMobile radio. For its convenience, great design quality, incredible range and valuable accessories, this walkie talkie may just be what you need for your vehicle.
The NOAA weather alert and scan features are also an important addition for anyone who will always be on the road. If you’re that person, do not hesitate to give this radio a try.